Monday, September 6, 2010

What To Do With An Old Entertainment Center

Happy Monday everyone!  

WAIT!!!  Are you going to throw out your old entertainment center?!?  Don't I have a great idea on how to reuse it.


Like most families we bought a new HDTV about a few months ago.  When we bought it home I realized that this monster 46" TV my husband bought wasn't going to fit into our entertainment center.  My perfect 27" TV that I have had for 10 years fit beautifully, but as my husband reminded me I needed to get a TV made in this century.  

What were we going to do with this monster entertainment center and matching book cases? I purchased the set from Lowes many years ago.  I had labored for days putting these heavy alder wood pieces together.  Plus the center was under $150 and such a good deal.  My husband wanted to put the furniture out in the dumpster or sell it at the yard sale.  After saying no a few times, I finally realized where we could us it.  In our rental home there was an option to make the formal dining room into a 4th bedroom, the owner decided not to do the extra bedroom but they still made a spot for the door to go.  It was crazy we had this strange alcove in our home.  I never could figure out what to do with it.   The entertainment center can fit!



So we pushed it in there and lined up the bookcases on the right hand side.  It looked great and many people don't even know there is a strange unfinished door way there.  There is about a foot between the back of the entertainment center and the wall, but you would never know it.  



I decided that I needed a space for all of my crafts.  So I picked up these great clear storage boxes and labeled them.  It really helps having everything in one place, and now everything has a home.   The labels are great to, there is no wondering what is in each box plus I can see through the boxes.


The width of the center is perfect for holding my wrapping paper.  I added this great tension rod to hang my wrapping paper and ribbon that I use regularly.   I really could use another one but for right now this works.  Once I get into the Christmas season I may add a few more to hang all my wrapping paper for the season.


I had this plastic jar sitting in the garage.  It works great for all those extra pieces of ribbon that I had floating around.  No more hunting down small pieces of ribbon.


So the next time you are thinking of throwing away your old entertainment center because you don't have room for it or your new TV won't fit in it think about reusing it in another way.  An entertainment center makes a great craft storage place and a wrapping center.

***Parties I'm link to. ***

Between Naps on the Porch
Making The World Cuter
Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
The DIY Showoff
Skip To My Lou
Keeping it Simple Thrifty Treasures
Mad in Crafts
I’m Topsy Turvy
Craft Edition-Sugar Bee

12 comments:

  1. Wow - great job! I love that you repurposed your center as craft storage. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craft storage is always a challenge, what a great idea to repurpose an entertainment center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific idea! Thanks for joining us!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  4. PERFECT use for it! Love it :)

    ~Lori @ Paisley Passions

    Join myThursday Linky Party
    Come enter myGiveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to upcycle! It looks great. Wonderful storage for all your craftiness.

    I'm having a Scentsy giveaway on my blog! Love it if you could check it out! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I'm currently using a couple old armoires for my craft supplies, so I am LOVING this! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect solution! It solved three problems; storage, covering something akward and what to do with entertainment center. Think I'm going to use this idea for one I have downstairs. Thanks for sharing.

    Joyfully,
    Elizabeth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a space for it, that is a great reuse! Thanks for linking up to the Under $100 Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to have the perfect space for it too! We moved a year ago and so may of my old shelves and furniture don't fit into our new space right anymore. What a fun redo! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greeeeeat use of space! I so need an area like that too. Nicely done!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that is so clever! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    xoxo
    jen

    ReplyDelete