Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mail Sorter

Over the last few months I have been thinking of a way to help keep our mail organized and in one central place within the house.  Currently all the mail tends to end up on the kitchen counter or just about any flat surface in the house, its a mess.  

With the beginning of my office remodel, I thought now would be a great time to find a way of keeping our mail organized and off the kitchen counter.  

I have been in love with the wood wall pockets that Ballard Designs sells, but the $89 price tag has stopped me from purchasing them.  


While shopping at the thrift store last week I found this great mail sorter for $10, and it looks almost like the Ballard Design wood wall pocket.  I knew that I could turn it into a Ballard Designs knock off.  It was in great condition but the wood didn't go with the decor in my office nor look like the knock off piece, but with the great price I couldn't pass it up. 






I removed the hardware and sanded down the wood a little because it was finished with a high gloss sealer.  After a little sanding it was ready for a nice coat of white paint, just like the ones at Ballard Designs.  I picked some Sail Cloth paint from Lowes and got started. 


It was too hot to paint outside, so I had to use the kitchen table.


The piece had these great name plates.  I printed out a tag for my husband's mail, my mail, and junk mail using Edwardian Script.  First I printed the tags on regular white paper but it didn't look right against the new coat of white paint.





I decided to look through some scrape book paper that I had left.  I found a great piece that was a light teal color, I love the way it popped against the white and coordinated with the rest of my office.  I was going to spray paint the hardware silver, but my husband liked the bronze color and asked that I keep.  I may change my mind later, but for right now it looks good.  






I really like our new mail station, I think it is a pretty close copy to the wood wall pockets from Ballard Designs.  



I can't wait to finish the rest of my office.  

 I'm so honored Creating a House of Grace has listed this project as part of her Tuesday party, Twice Owned Tuesday this week!  Please stop by and look at the other amazing projects that also won the title of Twice Owned Queen this week.

***Parties I am linking to.***
http://www.tipjunkie.com/handmade-projects/
http://todayscreativeblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/get-your-craft-on-tuesdays.html
http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/
http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/
http://www.thethriftyhome.com/
http://heidi-heartandhome.blogspot.com/
http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/
 http://lifeaslori.blogspot.com/
http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/

    27 comments:

    1. Looks great! Love handsome organization!

      Happy Gratitude Day!

      Stop on by....

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh this is terrific! Gotta love organization...and I love your transformation of it! Be sure to link up at Frou Frou Decor on Friday! Hope to see you there!
      ~Terrell @ FFD~

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great job! Thanks for linking to Gratitude Wednesday. I'm always thankful for nicely organized anything!
      XO
      Heidi - Heart and Home

      ReplyDelete
    4. Looks great! So clean cut.

      -Nicole
      www.craftmysoul.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. Fabulous!
      The white gives it such a clean and modern look!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Great find! Paint is awesome--it makes everything better. My hubby's name is Chad, too! Heh.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I have been trying to find a mail sorter-thingy lately. It seems our kitchen counter is always filled with mail. Looks cute!

      ReplyDelete
    8. That looks great, I really need one of these.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I love your mail sorter in white!
      ps & your blog is cute too : )
      happy thursday!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Oh, I drooled over these in catalogs for a long time, but never would fork out the money for one. What a great find for 10 bucks! I wanted one for my kids' schoolwork/folders. Nice transformation!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I am so jealous of this. Love this! You have to link this to my Upcycled Awesome Linky party at http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled10

      ReplyDelete
    12. Great decorating job and great thrifty find!!!
      Stopping by from New Friend Friday!

      http://search4serendipity.weebly.com/blog.html

      ReplyDelete
    13. So pretty! Love how it turned out!
      smiles!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thanks a ton for linking up this wonderful creation of yours!! Have a great weekend and I hope you come by each week for more Fabulous Finds!
      ~Terrell @ FFD~

      ReplyDelete
    15. I am your newest follower! I just hopped over from NFF. Great makeover on the mail sorter...it looks really nice with the new paint job and I love the new tabs. Can't wait to see the changes to your office. Come say hi!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Pretty amazing what a little paint will do, I'm liking your ideas, and of course anything thrifty, and budget, Im all over that. The ONLY way I do things. Thanks for sharing, and since you seem to love linky parties, maybe you would consider adding some of your wonderful creations to mine. Its new and going on till the end of the month. :) I would be so happy to have you!

      ReplyDelete
    17. that mail sorter looks brand new! i think white is just so fresh and clean. way to go!

      ReplyDelete
    18. I have one of these too, and it's great. Although I have to say, the mail piled up in it, and then landed right back on the counter, or any other flat surface. sigh.

      ReplyDelete
    19. Great job!! I just found a sorter at my Goodwill yesterday I can't wait to redo. :)

      ReplyDelete
    20. It is very cute! I always love what paint can do!!!

      Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Great Job! I love your blog and I'm your newest follower! Come by Sassy Sites and say HI!

      Marni @ Sassy Sites
      www.sassysites.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    22. Thank you to everyone for the great comments! I really appreciate it!! :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. Great Project. I need one to keep all my blog papers organized.

      Cheri

      ReplyDelete
    24. Great job! I am your newest follower and I am going to feature you.
      Bonnie :)

      ReplyDelete
    25. I really like this, I need to be on the lookout for one! Would look so good in my kitchen!!! Our counters get overloaded sometimes!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    26. Bonnie ~ I'm so excited to be featured this week. Thank you so much!!!

      ReplyDelete
    27. Great!! Designss. I love it's luxurious appearance it's really perfect in my condo in Unique Loft space

      ReplyDelete