Friday, August 20, 2010

When Life Throws You a Curve Ball

Just when I thought I was going to spend the rest of August and part of September finishing my Guest Bedroom and Office, I was thrown a curve ball.  My husband's company is transferring us from CA to Virginia!  I was so looking forward to finishing the house, and now I'm starting a new one which 
isn't all bad. ;)

The next 5 weeks are going to be crazy, I am scrambling to find a home in VA and finalizing all the moving details.  I am so fortunate that my husband medically retired from the Air Force almost a year ago and that the military will be handling moving all of our belongs, boy does that take a load off of me.   

The next two weeks before they pick up our belongs will be spent cleaning out our current home, reorganizing a few closets, and decluttering.  Good thing we just held a garage sale in our neighborhood and go rid of a lot of items.

I would love to hear from anyone who has moved across the country or a long distance, please feel free to provide me with any tips or tricks that you have learned along the way.  I have lived in Northern California my whole life and have moved only short distances before, this will be my first long distance move.  We will also be driving the 2,700 miles across country with our two Cocker Spaniels, so if you have any traveling tips please let me know.

Also, if anyone lives in Virginia or near Washington DC, please let me know of some of the great things we should do while we are living there, share some of the great places to shop and eat.  I would love to learn more about our new home, since I won't be able to do a house hunting trip before we move out there. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! best of luck to you in your next adventure! you sound quite calm about it all : ) having the AF take responsibility for moving you is a big stress reliever.

    when we moved last time a friend scrapbooked a photo album with places we frequented {ex. work, grocery, restaurants & favorite dishes, our house & mailbox, she even took a picture of my son's assigned parking spot # at the high school} they were things I never would have thought to take pictures of but when she gave it to me after we moved I loved it!!

    once we arrived at our new location we took a weekend and played tourist. We did all the things in and around town that out.of.towners would come to do but that locals don't do. It helped us discover the fun & feel more connected.

    best of luck to you in your move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Northern Virginia. We moved here from Michigan 4 years ago. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the area. I'm also a teacher with a 2 year old.

    ReplyDelete