Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

I have been dreaming of redoing our mantel for some time.  I have never really liked what was displayed on it.  The only problem is our mantel is only 5 inches deep, which doesn't give you much room. 
 
Here is a picture of what it looked like before.


I decided that I didn't like the candle sconces any more and removed them.  I also didn't like the picture frames up there any more, it really cluttered the mantel.  After I removed these items I felt the mirror was lacking something.  I bought this mirror and two others just like it for $5 about 4 years ago at Big Lots.  I really wanted a new mirror but with our big move coming up I knew a new mirror wasn't in the budget.  My husband said if I could just live with the mirror for a little while longer he would buy me a new one once we move.  

I really don't like the color of the mirror, the mirror was kind of a silver color but looked more gray than silver. 


I forgot to take a picture of the before, but this is the other mirror that is almost identical.


Another picture of the other mirror to show the before.

I decided that I would paint the mirror and give it a new look.  This way I get a new mirror for a few months until I can buy something else.  I took out my Blue Sage paint from Restoration Hardware and got to work.






After two coats of paint I used Rub n' Buff silver to hi-light the detail in the piece and bring out the details.





By making over the mirror using things I had on hand I saved money and got a new look for my mantel and essentially a new mirror.








After making over my mirror, I don't know if I really want a new one (but don't tell me husband).  I really liked the way it came out.  It's amazing how a coat of paint can transform an old, tired, out dated mirror, and turn it into a brand new piece.

***Parties I am linking to this week.***
Twice Owned Tuesday
All Thingz Related
Craft Edition
The Gypsy’s Corner
Coastal Charm
A Silly Little Sparrow
The Pumpkin Patch
Between Naps on the Porch
Making The World Cuter
Cottage Instincts
The Girl Creative
Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
The DIY Showoff
Skip To My Lou
Super Stinky Boys
Keeping it Simple
Tools are for Women too
Mad in Crafts
It’s So Very Cheri
Me and my Bucket
Domestically Speaking
The Trendy Treehouse
Gettin’ Crafty on Hump Day
Heart and Home
T-shirt Diaries
Someday Crafts
Blue Cricket Design
Sew Much Ado
My Backyard Eden
The Thrifty Home
Creations By Kara
House of Hepworths
Somewhat Simple
Tales from Bloggeritaville
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Beyond The Picket Fence
Seven Thirty Three – A Creative Blog
Life as Lori
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Decor Momma
Remodelaholic
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Fun to Craft
Miss Mustard Seed
It’s a Hodge Podge Life
The Shabby Nest
Frugal and Fabulous
Kojo Designs
The Girl Creative New Friend Friday
A Few of My Favorite Things
It’s a Blog Party!
My Romantic Home
A Vision to Remember
Funky Junk Interiors
A Little Lovely Along for the Ride
Style Feature Saturday at Perfectly Imperfect

12 comments:

  1. Tell me about it girl. I like the new color you picked out, and how simple it looks now. I agree it was a bit cluttered before, but if you had only seen some of my genius ideas for my mantle. hee hee. Less is more in our case for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous! Where do you get the rub 'n buff stuff? I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the Rub n' Buff from Michaels Crafts. I have also seen it on Amazon.com, for really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I will have to try the rub n buff as well!
    Popped over from BNOTP's Met Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nice! I love the candle holders too! SO glad I popped by from Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your whole room looks wonderful! but you are right about a coat of paint. it's one of those little miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfection! ;)
    Thanks for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!! I need to get some of that rub n buff stuff!! i've heard all sorts of good things about it. thanks for joining in on the fun over at Me and My Bucket!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice re-do! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO pretty! Thanks for linking this one up too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fantastic!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete